Thursday, May 7, 2009

Twitter, Brevity and Clarity.

So, I'm about 3 years behind in technology and have just joined Twitter
Twitter is the latest and most bizarre of the popular social networking sites. Posts are limited to a minuscule 400 characters or less.
I'm MGilbartSmith (even the user ID's are minuscule with not enough space for MikeGilbart-Smith.
So, as Christians, can we make use of Twitter for the gospel?
There's an interesting "Twitter the gospel" competition that the Church Matters blog has launched.
I thought I'd join as it might help me into the discipline of ensuring I don't waffle in my sermons.
However, as the gospel twitters have shown, the danger of brevity is that you might sacrifice clarity. We are commanded to set forth clearly, by implied command, example and prayer.

2 Cor 4:2: Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

Galatians 3:1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.

Galatians 4:3-4: And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.

Nowhere are we commanded to set it forth briefly, though wisdom might encourage us to be brief in some circumstances.

Twitter might be a great place for soundbites that might provoke conversation. But NOT a good thing to replace conversation or proclamation with mere twitter.

No comments: