Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The worldview of Spiderman 3

I watched Spiderman 3 upon all the glory of a 6 inch screen on a flight last week.

Very interesting worldview presented:

Aunt May is certainly the character who comes across as the voice we are supposed to trust.

Some quotes from her:
"I don't think it's for us to say whether a person deserves to live or die."
"You start by doing the hardest thing, you forgive yourself. I believe in you, Peter. You're a good person, and I know you'll find a way to put it right."

And then it ended (don't read if you don't want to have the movie ruined) with an extraordinary scene where the bad guy who had killed Parker's uncle is seen not as the villain, but as a pitiful victim.
Flint Marko: [looks down at the crowd below] I didn't want this. But I had no choice...
Peter Parker: We always have a choice. You had a choice when you killed my uncle.
Flint Marko: My daughter was dying, I needed money. [flashback: Flint knocks on the car window with a gun]
Flint Marko: I was scared. I told your uncle all I wanted was the car. He said to me "Why don't you just put down the gun and go home?" I realise now he was just trying to help me. [Uncle Ben tells Flint to put down the gun and go home, just when Flint's partner exits a nearby building with the money]
Flint Marko: Then I saw my partner running over with the cash... and the gun was in my hand... [he shakes Flint's arm - causing him to shoot Uncle Ben. Flint realizes this]
Flint Marko: I did a terrible thing to you, I spent a lot of nights wishing I could take it back. [Flint's partner drives off with the car, but Flint stays by Uncle Ben's side]
Flint Marko: [to Peter] I'm not asking you to forgive me. I just want you to understand.
Peter Parker: I've done terrible things too.
Flint Marko: I didn't choose to be this. The only thing left of me now... is my daughter.
Peter Parker: [after a pause] I forgive you.

No comments: